SierTeK proudly serves our clients by providing expertise in the Program Management, Information Technology, and Administrative Support domains. Founded in 2007 as a minority and service-disabled veteran-owned company, we serve as prime- and subcontractor for a multitude of Federal Department of Defense contracts. By focusing on continual improvement, our services remain at the forefront of our industry, and we pride ourselves on delivering our services with the highest degree of integrity.
SierTek Ltd. is seeking a Molecular Biologist to support an opportunity at the Wright Patterson AFB, OH (On-Site).
The 711th Human Performance Wing (711 HPW), headquartered at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Ohio, is the first human-centric warfare wing to consolidate human performance research, education, and consultation under a single organization. Established under the Air Force Research Laboratory, the 711 HPW is comprised of the Airman Systems Directorate (RH) and the United States Air Force School of Aerospace Medicine (USAFSAM). The Wing delivers unparalleled capability to the Air Force through a combination of world class infrastructure and expertise of its diverse workforce of military, civilian and contractor personnel encompassing 75 occupational specialties including science and engineering, occupational health and safety, medical professions, technicians, educators, and business operations and support. The Molecular Biologist will assist biological and medical scientists in laboratories, setting up, operating, and maintaining laboratory instruments & equipment, monitoring experiments, making observations, and calculating/recording results.
Essential Job Functions
· Assist biological and medical scientists in laboratories, setting up, operating, and maintaining laboratory instruments & equipment, monitoring experiments, making observations, and calculating/recording results.
· Perform DNA extraction from samples, generate genomic data through molecular techniques, and characterize genomic variation using phylogenetic tools.
· Perform next generation sequencing, PCR, and bioinformatics as needed in support of various projects research objectives.
· Assist PHT staff in developing and optimizing procedures for pathogen and infectious disease testing. Including the design and synthesis of primers and probes for those procedures.
· Update/conduct review of scientific literature relevant to the research initiatives.
· Support experimental planning/design, protocol training and execution, and data collection and analysis.
· Support pursuit of funding opportunities, and development, reporting, and editing of competitive, well-written, full drafts of research proposals, papers, and presentations as related to the project.
· Assist with the preparation, coordination, and submission of protocol-related documents to Institutional Review Boards (IRB) or Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC).
· Support the preparation of reports of program initiatives as related to the project at the direction and input of PHT staff.
· Support the laboratory with other tasks as required to ensure proper function of the laboratory, including but not limited to communal solid waste disposal, and general laboratory maintenance procedures.
· Perform experiments within a high containment lab in support of ongoing BSL-3 level efforts, being able to don a power air purifying respirator and full body personal protective equipment, for multiple hours per day.
· Abide by all Federal, State and USAFSAM directives concerning the confidentiality of records, as embodied in federal statutes including the Privacy Act of 1974 and Health Information Portability Accountability ACT (HIPAA).
Minimum Position Requirements
· Possess a master’s degree in biological, biomedical, or biochemistry degree with an emphasis in molecular techniques including but not limited to molecular biology, biochemistry, toxicology, immunology, bioinformatics, oligo synthesis, or similar.
· Demonstrated experience in molecular biology: nucleic acid extraction, PCR, protein characterization, gel electrophoresis, probe/primer design and validation, hybrid capture methodologies, molecular cloning.
· Demonstrated experience in mammalian and microbiological culturing: line maintenance, expression vector selection, STEM cell culture and stabilization, anaerobic and aerobic culture constraints, differential species identifications, anaerobic glove box culture.
· Possess excellent organizational, management, and communications skills including writing ability.
· Demonstrated experience with advanced molecular characterization technologies: qRT-PCR with experience operating and maintaining ABI systems, and/or next generation sequencing (short and long read technologies); trained and experienced in oligo synthesis including the operation of technical equipment.
· Possess a documented history of scientific writing as evidenced by peer-reviewed publications, technical reports, and/or conference proceedings (abstracts, posters, oral presentations, session chairpersonships, or similar).
· Possess experience and aptitude in bioinformatics analysis of ‘omics data, including Linux based command line tools and pipelines, batch scripting, with a demonstrated ability to troubleshoot and develop tools as needed.
· Signed Non-Disclosure Agreement in place. This is necessary to mitigate transfer of any confidential, proprietary and/or sensitive information while in this position.
· Ability to successfully pass a Tier I background check.
Highly Desired Qualifications
· Experience with microbiology and/or analytical chemistry.
· Experience creating and working with virtual computing environments.
· Possess knowledge and experience working with and under clinical laboratory regulations and processes in which new assays may need to be optimized to perform.
SierTeK is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. Employment is decided based on qualifications, merit, and business need. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, gender identity and sexual orientation.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at 1+833.743.7835.